Community Helpers (Unit 10)
From Kindergarten Plus!by Joni Bowman
In Community Helpers, your kindergarten students will be involved in a variety of hands-on activities that celebrate all those who contribute to our local community. Activities including:
- sorting “tools” used by community helpers
- putting letters for postal delivery in numerical order
- ordering shoes by size at the shoe store
- discussing the mass and capacity of various items at the bulk-food store
- designing patterned jewellery for a local jewellery shop
- creating different sundae combinations at the ice cream shop
- creating our own actions to new and familiar poems
- using weekly poems to identify community helpers, to read basic sight words, to identify rhyming words, to recognize and discuss the function of question marks and exclamation marks, and to identify descriptive words
- discussing a variety of community helpers and the important role they play in the community
- learning the importance of 911 in an emergency
and much more!
Community Helpers is one unit in Kindergarten Plus! Each unit delivers a developmentally appropriate approach for teaching and learning. Kindergarten students will learn through active engagement, hands-on activities, observations, experimentation, and social interaction with others. To find more information about Kindergarten Plus! please click here.