Collaborating to Support All Learners in Mathematics and ScienceIt's All About Thinking series
by Faye Brownlie
| Carole Fullerton
| Leyton Schnellert
Grade: for grades 5–12
In this second volume of It’s All About Thinking, the authors focus their expertise on the disciplines of mathematics and science, translating principles into practices that help other educators with their students.
- How can we help students develop the thinking skills they need to become successful learners?
- How does this relate to deep learning of important concepts in mathematics and science?
- How can we engage and support diverse learners in inclusive classrooms where they develop understanding and thinking skills?
In this book, Faye, Leyton and Carole explore these questions and offer classroom examples to help busy teachers develop communities where all students learn. This book is written by three experienced educators who offer a welcoming and “can-do” approach to the big ideas in math and science education today. In this book you will find:
- insightful ways to teach diverse learners (Information circles, open-ended strategies, inquiry, manipulatives and models)
- lessons crafted using curriculum design frameworks (UDL and backwards design)
- assessment for, as, and of learning
- fully fleshed-out lessons and lesson sequences; inductive teaching to help students develop deep learning and thinking skills in Math and Science
- assessment tools (and student samples) for concepts drawn from learning outcomes in Math and Science curricula
- excellent examples of theory and practice made accessible
- real school examples of collaboration — teachers working together to create better learning opportunities for their students