This one-of-a-kind resource offers solutions for teachers who provide exemplary instruction to students from varied cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Using real classroom experiences and current research, the authors focus on the needs of ESL learners in the regular classroom. The activities and assessment tools can be used by classroom teachers and ESL teachers working alone or together.
In this book, you will find:
- ways to incorporate English and the home languages of the ESL students into the same lesson
- suggestions for informal individual and group assessments for reading, writing, and oral language
- ideas for welcoming new ESL students
- examples of criteria that can be used for the assessment of ESL students
- open-ended lessons and units for all learners, with accompanying reproducible masters