Here is Tommy’s placement interview:
What’s your name?
How old are you?
How long have you studied English?
Since I was 13.
Tell me about Taiwan.
It’s dirtier than America. The air is very polluted. And I think the schools are better. I want to go to the university here in California. Then, I’ll join the army back home. I can get a better career in Taiwan if I get a degree from America.
Here is Tommy’s writing (see above):
- What do you know about Tommy based on the information given?
- If Tommy were enrolled in your school what placement decisions would you make?
- Is he operating at grade level for his age?
- What assumptions can you make about his ability to succeed with the grade-level curriculum based on his fluency?
- Can you assume that he will be able to function without any assistance at all? If not, what sort of help might he need and should you give?