We’re excited to announce we’re running a contest on our Instagram feed for the upcoming anthology This Place: 150 Years Retold (May 2019) at @highwaterpress!
This Place: 150 Years Retold is a graphic novel anthology from HighWater Press that features award-winning Indigenous creators (see full list at the bottom of the page) including Katherena Vermette (2017 Burt Award, The Break), David Alexander Robertson (2017 Governor General’s Literary Award, When We Were Alone), and Jennifer Storm (2017 CBC Manitoba Future 40).
The anthology brings the last 150 years to life through beautiful graphic art and Indigenous characters and stories. To celebrate its upcoming release, we’re running an Instagram caption contest from November 8th to 29th for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).
We’ll be featuring a prize package from Indigenous artisans and authors, including:
- a handmade pendant from Indigo Arrows
- tea towels from Her Braids
- a $100 gift card to Cheekbone Beauty
- 24 x 18 poster for “This Place: 150 Years Retold”
- signed copies of Strangers and Monsters by David A. Robertson (The Reckoner Trilogy)
- plus a FREE copy of This Place: 150 Years Retold when it’s released!
How to Enter
Entering is easy! Just follow these steps:
- Follow these four accounts on Instagram: @highwaterpress @herbraids @IndigoArrows @cheekbonebeauty
- Create your caption for the image provided. Tell us what you think the characters are saying and doing.
- Leave your caption in the comments section of each contest-related post. This is the most important part!
Enter as many times as you’d like. The more comments and ideas, the better!
The contest closes on November 29th, and we’ll be publishing a final post to let you know it’s your last chance to enter.
About This Place: 150 Years Retold
Explore the past 150 years through the eyes of Indigenous creators in this groundbreaking graphic novel anthology. Beautifully illustrated, these stories are a wild ride through magic realism, serial killings, psychic battles, and time travel. See how Indigenous peoples have survived a post-apocalyptic world since Contact. Pre-order your copy at highwaterpress.com/ThisPlace.
Featuring the following contributors:
Foreword by: Alicia Elliott
Stories by: Kateri Akiwenzie-Damm, Sonny Assu, Brandon Mitchell, Rachel and Sean Qitsualik-Tinsley, David A. Robertson, Niigaanwewidam James Sinclair, Jen Storm, Richard Van Camp, Katherena Vermette, and Chelsea Vowel
Illustrated by: Tara Audibert, Kyle Charles, GMB Chomichuk, Natasha Donovan, Scott B. Henderson, and Andrew Lodwick
Colour by: Scott A. Ford and Donovan Yaciuk
This is one of the 200 exceptional projects funded through the Canada Council for the Arts’ New Chapter program. With this $35M investment, the Council supports the creation and sharing of the arts in communities across Canada.