The Hands-On English Language Learning program is a resource for classroom teachers, specialist teachers working with English-language learners, and other educational professionals who support these students.
To assist your students in developing language skills, this resource includes:
- specific curricular connections for each lesson to identify links to subject-area themes in language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, health, physical education, and the arts
- integrated class activities to promote learning in context for all students in the classroom
- suggested activities that focus on curricular topics in all subject areas, while supporting English language learners
- relevant topics such as the classroom and school, clothing, food, hobbies and interests, plants and animals of Canada, the world, and the environment
- age-appropriate, high-interest learning activities that foster the development of essential English language vocabulary and skills in listening, speaking, reading, writing, viewing, and representing
- activities (in keeping with the philosophy of all Portage & Main Press Hands-On programs) that are student-centred and focus on real-life, hands-on experiences