Kindergarten Plus! is a child-centred, integrated program that includes engaging, exciting, and developmentally appropriate activities. Use as a core program or as a complement to an existing program. Both new and experienced kindergarten teachers will find this teacher-friendly resource invaluable.
Kindergarten Plus! consists of a balance of exploration, guided instruction, and explicit instruction with an emphasis on early literacy, numberacy, and inquiry-based learning. Kindergarten Plus! is broken down into 10 theme-based units and one getting started unit. Each unit contains hands-on activities that integrate all the subject areas.
Highlights of each monthly unit include:
- detailed step-by-step lesson plans for language arts, mathematics, and integrated studies (arts, social studies, science, etc.)
- learning-centre ideas that encourage creativity and exploration
- a variety of assessment methods that have children demonstrate their learning by doing, representing, and saying
- ideas to effectively engage parents/caregivers in their child’s education
- sample daily planning guides to assest teachers with full-day planning
Let the Journey Begin! contains important information on how to get started with Kindergarten Plus! In this book, you will find helpful suggestions for planning and scheduling, establishing a home-school connection, assessment strategies, and much more!
Unit 1 – I Am Special!: The first unit focuses on helping your students orient themselves to the “Big School.” Students learn classroom rules and routines and recognize that every classmate is special.
Unit 2 – Apples and Pumpkins: With the beginning of the fall season, students engage in activities involving apples and pumpkins.
Unit 3 – Colours and Shapes: Students learn about the colours and shapes of a variety of everyday objects.
Unit 4 – Gingerbread Man: Students run, run, run as fast as they can to take part in exciting activities.
Unit 5 – Winter Wonderland: Students investigate the magic of the winter season.
Unit 6 – Friendship: Excitement and energy abound as students discover the importance of having friends and of being a good friend.
Unit 7 – All About Bears: During the final weeks of winter, students venture into an exciting unit on bears.
Unit 8 – Spring Is Here!: Students explore and discover the changes that spring brings to the outdoor world.
Unit 9 – On the Farm: Students kick up their heels and “travel” to the farm.
Unit 10 – Community Helpers: Students “travel” around the local community and celebrate those who contribute to it.
Kindergarten Plus! kit includes:
- 11 books: one book for each monthly unit, plus a getting-started book
- blackline masters (activity sheets, charts and graphs, cutouts, poems, and much more)
- CD of selected songs
- provincial curriculum correlation chart
- storage box