Teacher’s Guide for The Seven Teachings Stories
Designed to help teachers in early years classrooms use The Seven Teachings Stories series, by Katherena Vermette, this guide provides the framework and key ideas educators need to become participants in a culturally responsive classroom community and to deepen their understanding of the Seven Teachings. With these stories, educators can create a space to discuss diverse perspectives, experiences, and traditions with young readers, and to foster a deeper understanding of ourselves as human beings and of our relationships with others.
This guide is presented in three sections and includes:
- Key information about the Seven Teachings, Anishinaabe vocabulary, and the characters in each story.
- Ideas to guide student learning.
- Approaches and suggestions that teachers can apply to any of the seven stories.
- Strategies and activities to deepen readers’ understanding of the abstract concepts addressed in the stories.
- An appendix of reproducible classroom materials.