Hands-On English Language Learning Middle Years
by Jennifer Lawson
Grade: for grades 4–6
Hands-on English Language Learning program is a resource for classroom teachers, specialist teachers working with English-language learners, and other educational professionals who support these students. In developing the resource, the authors referred to current curricular documents and to research in English-language acquisition. Careful attention has been given to basic language skills, essential subject-specific vocabulary, and knowledge required by middle-years English-language learners.
To assist your students in developing language skills, this resource includes:
- specific curricular connections for each lesson to identify links to subject-area themes in language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, health, physical education, and the arts
- integrated class activities to promote learning in context for all students in the classroom
- career connections that offer students an opportunity to explore employability skills and career choices within the context of English-language learning
- suggested activities focus on curricular topics in all subject areas, while supporting English-language learners
- lesson topics that relate specifically to the interests and lives of middle-years students
- relevant topics, such as the classroom and school, clothing, food, hobbies and interests, plants and animals of Canada, the world, and the environment
- age-appropriate, high-interest learning activities that foster the development of essential English-language vocabulary and skills in listening, speaking, reading, writing, viewing, and representing
- activities (in keeping with the philosophy of all Portage & Main Press Hands-On programs) that are student-centred and focus on real-life, hands-on experiences
Please note: All blackline masters are included on a CD.