A Recommended Resource for Manitoba Teachers
Approved Support Resource for Alberta Classrooms
Hands-On Problem Solving is an easy-to-use resource that helps teachers plan and implement best practices for teaching problem solving throughout the school year.
Hands-On Problem Solving for Grade 2 is divided into three sections: routine, non-routine, and extended explorations. In section one, students solve routine problems that focus on specific math concepts (number, patterns, measurement, geometry). In section two, students use specific strategies to solve non-routine problems. Section three includes extended explorations that offer in-depth, real-life contexts as the basis for the problem.
- 40 weeks worth of daily problem-solving tasks
- strategic lessons that present a five-part instructional process (think, talk, solve, share, and extend)
- a correlation chart to help plan problem solving activities that correspond with other math activities occurring in the classroom
- suggestions for assessment of, as, and for learning
- built-in support for beginning readers
- teacher and student support for questioning strategies
- problems that are grade-appropriate in language and reading level
- cross-curricular connections