The Wolf Mother
Explore the life cycle of a grey wolf in this engaging look at how an ecosystem’s animals, people, and seasons are intertwined.
Follow along as award-winning author Hetxw’ms Gyetxw (Brett D. Huson) introduces young readers to a pack of grey wolves. New pups have just begun to open their eyes, one of which is a striking black female. Every day, her ears grow larger, her eyesight gets sharper, and her legs stretch farther. As she learns to hunt, play, and run with her pack, instinct pulls her to explore beyond her home territory. Will the young wolf’s bold spirit help her find a new pack of her very own?
Learn about the life cycle of these magnificent canines, the traditions of the Gitxsan, and how grey wolves contribute to the health of their entire ecosystem.
- Short-listed, Manuela Dias Book Design and Illustration Awards, Children’s Illustration 2022
- Short-listed, Science Writers and Communicators of Canada Book Awards, Child and Youth 2022
- Short-listed, Red Cedar Book Awards 2022
- Long-listed, First Nations Communities READ 2022
- Short-listed, Rocky Mountain Book Award 2023
- Winner, Science Writers and Communicators of Canada's Paradigm Prize 2022
Among CBC Books 35 Canadian Middle-Grade Books to Watch for in Fall 2021CBC Books
Among Loan Stars Jr. Top 10 picksLoan Stars Jr.
With numerous teachings offered throughout its beautiful pages, The Wolf Mother provides many lovely lessons for young readers.Quill & Quire
Among The Globe and Mail's Kids' Books Gift GuideThe Globe and Mail
A vibrant animal book, this gently and generously shares something of Gitxsan culture.Toronto Star
With numerous teachings offered throughout its beautiful pages, The Wolf Mother is an engaging read, providing important lessons for all children.Canadian Children's Book News