This teacher’s guide is designed to help classroom teachers use the graphic novel series, Tales From Big Spirit, by David A. Robertson. The guide provides detailed lessons that meet a wide range of language arts and social studies goals, integrate Indigenous perspectives, and make curricular content more accessible to diverse learners. It is organized into three sections.
The first section includes:
- general instructional ideas for deepening readers’ comprehension of text.
- a framework to further develop students’ thinking about history.
- information about aspects of graphic novels and how to use them in the classroom.
The second section includes:
- specific instructional ideas and suggestions.
- an overview.
- detailed teaching and learning sequences (before-, during-, and after-reading format).
The appendix includes:
- strategies and reproducible classroom materials that support and stimulate student learning.
- historical images that may be reproduced.